Friday, September 5, 2008

Unspeakable Joy!!

For most, baptism is something that sticks in their memory for a lifetime.  It is a source of joy.  As a minister, to be present when someone emerges from the water has got to be one of the coolest things ever.  During a baptism something happens that is very difficult to explain.  In a single moment - everything changes.  One enters the water purposeful, ready and willing to surrender everything to God.  And in a single moment, they rise with a radiance that rivals the brightest sunrise.  

Water is water.  There is nothing special about it.  Before today I would have told you that.  But then again, this is the Jordan River.  By all accounts, the water in the Jordan is not exactly the water I would choose to baptize someone.  I have a bottle of this water and believe me, you won't find me drinking any of it.  It will probably take a week for all the sediment to settle, and who knows how many critters are swimming around in there!  We stood in the river for probably 15 minutes and I was constantly fighting with the fish that thought my toes were food.  You try keeping your composure in such a solemn environment with live things wiggling and nibbling at your feet.  

Today we offered to baptize those who wanted to reaffirm their previous baptism.  No big deal, right?  Yeah, right.  When I baptized my son Andrew, I got an inkling of what this is all about.  He's a big guy (6' 2", 240ish), and I'm not.  But I dunked him three times reallll good.  When he came up out of the water, the tears in his eyes matched those in mine.  In a moment, everything changed.  Then it was my turn.  Rev. Morris (one of our group leaders from TX) baptized me, and when  I came up out of the water it seemed like everything was moving in slow motion.  I felt as if I were floating.  Effortless.  Dreamlike.  Andrew and I had experienced the same thing - unspeakable joy!

I so desperately want to comment on the experience with wit and sophistication; to describe it with a realism that is fit for the event.  But I cannot, because I had nothing to do with this moment.  Water is water, or is it?  There is nothing mystical about the Jordan River.  What was mystical was the work God did in our hearts as we publicly announced to the whole world, in a place revered by all of Israel for millenia, that we...that I, would serve God and God alone.  God was pleased and in a single moment gave us a gift beyond description.  

Unspeakable joy. 

John 

4 comments:

HennHouse said...

I think your writing is better than you think. This piece was amazing. Like I was there with you dipping my toes into the Jordan. Thank you for taking the time to update!

Anonymous said...

Your journaling (like Dad - I'm not used to this blogging stuff) is fabulous! We are indeed with you even though we did not get a passport. It is easy to mirror your emotions; to laugh with you, to praise with you and to cry with you. Thank you for sharing your trip and your experiences. Love to you and Andrew from the family in Nashville.

Anonymous said...

"I love you Daddy. Your blog is great. I miss you but I have you with me in my locket." xoxoxoxoxoxooxxooxx
Mommy says that she will have unspeakable joy when you get home. :-)

We love you, Jill and Mommy

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your moment of unspeakable joy ( and the rest of your trip) with us. Amanda shared your blog info with me and I look forward to viewing it everday. Please keep it up. Thanks again